Our mindset when creating Rise of the Valkyrie was that we wanted to create a game that was feasable to finish in 72h, while still being fun to play for everyone and having one mechanic that people could play with and have fun in successive playthroughs. The 13th place we scored on the contest proves that to a certain extent, we created the experience we were aiming for!
This being my first gamejam experience, I learned a few things about what should or should not be included when working with time constraints. I feel the text that was added for a "plot" was unnecessary and very badly written, since it was cooked up in a few minutes. I feel we could have should added a few sound effects to create a better presentation of the villain. Secondly, I feel that the project taught me a lot about how one mechanic can be so engaging that everyone playing the game can have tons of fun tinkering with it: I've seen people use it to cheat, break the scenario boundaries or just to play around initially when they are learning about the mechanic itself.
If I learned anything from this project, it is the joy that can be generated with one rather simple game mechanic.